Saturday, August 30, 2014

MQ 2014 - Three: Barrett Mountain

I climbed Barrett Mountain, part of the Wapack Trail, today from roughly 6:00 - 7:30 pm.

As I was putting on my socks and hiking boots in my car on the road near the Windblown Ski Area, I startled a flock of 20 or so wild turkeys!

I came upon a woman and her Lab retriever within the first few minutes, and after greeting both (and getting muddy from the dog), I continued up the trail. It was a great hike. I stopped frequently for photos and water, and to just look around. I saw a large hawk on the way up, and then again on my descent. Awesome.

At the summit I met an old man in his 70's who was a bit turned around. Apparently he had been hiking for the past 4 hours, having begun his walk at Mount Watatic! Talk about a motivator. I steered him in the right direction, and then ate an apple before beginning my descent, with the music of Cuushe playing on my iPod.

Notes: It was sunny, dry and in the 70's. The air smelled fantastic. I wore my Orijeans selvedge to break them in hard (my legs sweated like crazy today, and my they are still blue from 'denim dust'!). Hike times were 54 minutes up, and about a half-hour down.

What a day.







No comments:

Post a Comment